Urgent gas works required in the city centre will take place in the coming weeks.
From Friday, October 28, Cadent Gas will begin work at the Liverpool Street/Water Street junction.
A traffic management plan will be put in place for a five-week period to enable these works to be carried out before the winter period gets into full swing.
The proposed management plan is as follows:
- Two-way lights on Water Street from Saturday, October 28
- Closure of Water Street for two weeks from November 3
- Removal of this closure by November 14, and a return to two-way lights (there are however engineering dependencies on this date)
- Removal of two-way lights on Water Street by November 26
- Final works to be removed by the first week of December
Although coming during a busy part of the year, the Council will be working with Cadent and partners in the city centre to minimise disruption to businesses, residents and commuters.
It’s important to note that these dates are speculative and could be subject to change.
A spokesperson for Manchester City Council said: “We will be working with our partners throughout this period to keep disruption to a minimum.
“During this period we’d urge motorists to think ahead before considering using the road in this section or town, or monitor the situation via our social media pages, as well as TfGM’s.
“We will be grateful for motorists’ patience during the duration of these works.”