Seven items of evidence we need for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
Give us the following seven items when you claim to help speed up your benefit payment and help with your Council Tax.
- Your fully completed claim form. This means you must answer every question.
- Evidence of your identity and, if you have a partner, evidence of their identity.
- Evidence of your National Insurance number and, if you have a partner, evidence of their National Insurance number.
- Evidence of your income and, if you have a partner, evidence of their income.
- Evidence of all the income of anyone else living with you (including, for example, grown-up children, other relatives or friends).
- Evidence of all savings, investments and any other capital or stocks and shares held by you and your partner, including all bank and building society current and savings accounts.
- Evidence of your rent, if you pay rent to a private landlord or a housing association. We also need the name and address of the owner of the property. If your landlord is an agency or agent who manages the property for someone else, we need both the managing agent's name and address and the owner's name and address.
All documents you give us to support your claim must be original documents. We can't accept photocopies. See the pages to the left for examples of evidence we can accept.
You can download a leaflet ('The Revenues and Benefits Unit's Magnificent Seven') that contains all the information about evidence we need as well as examples of documents we can accept as evidence.
Don't send valuable documents through the post. You can take your documents to a reception point in your local area to get them checked.
Find your nearest benefits reception point
Don't delay sending in your claim form, even if you haven't got all the evidence now. But make sure we receive the evidence quickly (within the next few days if you can). If you don't get the evidence to us within a month, we may not be able to pay you any benefit at all, so tell us if you are having problems getting your evidence.