Manchester City Council

Benefits & support The evidence you need to send us for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Evidence of identity can be any of the following.

  • Birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate; or divorce, annulment, separation or ending of a civil partnership papers in your current name. If your name has changed because of marriage or civil partnership, provide your marriage or civil partnership certificate as well.
  • Passport (current and valid) or Biometric Residence Permit.
  • Medical card or television licence in your name.
  • Gas, electricity, water or phone bill (but not a mobile phone bill), in your name, received within the last three months.
  • Current full or provisional driving licence (photocard or paper).
  • Cheque card, credit card, debit card or cash card.
  • Bank or building society statement (not older than four weeks) or passbook.
  • Certificate of employment in HM Forces or Merchant Navy.
  • B79 form for notice that you have been released from prison.
  • Letter from a solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor or HM Revenue and Customs.
  • Letter from the Home Office about immigration status.
  • Residence permit, Police Registration Certificate, Immigration and Nationality Directorate travel document, standard acknowledgement letter (SAL1 or 2) or Application Registration Card (ARC).
  • Home detention curfew licence.

These are examples, not a full list. We need one document for you and one for your partner, if you have a partner. You can also use any of the documents in the list of evidence of National Insurance number to confirm your identity, as long as it is a different document from the one you use to confirm your National Insurance number.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?