Manchester City Council

Benefits & support Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit delivered by Job Centre Plus. It's a single benefit, which replaces several in and out of work benefits with a monthly payment for people of working age. This includes:

  • housing benefit
  • income support (IS)
  • jobseeker's allowance (JSA)
  • income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • child tax credit
  • working tax credit.

For many people it covers housing costs, so they don’t have to make a separate Housing Benefit claim.

You’ll still need to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • have three or more children; or
  • live in supported or temporary accommodation; or
  • are Pension Credit age.

Council Tax Support is not covered by Universal Credit. You must apply separately.  Apply for:

Universal Credit in Manchester

Between between October 2017 and July 2018, Universal Credit is being rolled out in Manchester for all new benefit claims and for people who have a change in circumstances that changes what they are entitled to.

Find out when you could be affected.

If you’re not affected yet and you’re not already receiving or claiming Universal Credit, you’ll still need to claim other benefits such as Housing Benefit in the normal way.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?