Benefits and support Universal Credit

The Government introduced a temporary £20 weekly increase in payments for those claiming Universal Credit and Working Tax Credits on 6 April 2020. The £20 weekly uplift was stopped on 6 October 2021. For help with budgeting or debt advice visit Citizens Advice

Universal Credit is mainly for people of working age.

It replaces these benefits for most working-age


  • Housing Benefit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

Help with housing costs

Working-age people - Universal Credit covers housing costs for most working-age people. But if you live in supported or temporary accommodation you need to claim Housing Benefit to help with housing costs .

Pension-age people - If you are pension-age you either claim help with housing costs from Housing Benefit or you claim help with housing costs from Universal Credit - it depends on your circumstances.

Help with Council Tax

Universal Credit does not cover help with Council Tax for anyone. Read how to claim Council Tax Support to help with your Council Tax.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.