Children in Employment and Entertainment Performances Licensing

  1. Summary

    This privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why we require your data, and the legal basis on which it does this.

    This privacy notice relates to the licences and permits for children under 16 to be employed for work (such as a part-time job in a shop or a modelling shoot) and to take part in entertainment performances (such as acting in a TV programme, film or theatre show.) It provides additional information that specifically relates to this particular service, and should be read together with our general privacy notice and our Premises Licensing privacy notice.

  2. What personal information does this service use?

    We may collect and use some of the following personal information about you from your licence or permit application: 

    • Name 
    • Contact details (postal address, telephone number, email address)
    • Date of birth (DOB)
    • Gender
    • Photographs
    • Proof of identity (birth certificate scan/copy)
    • Nationality
    • Details of your school and education
    • The licence number issued 
    • Any physical or mental health condition
    • Next of kin details
    • Sums to be earned and to whom this will be paid
    • Accommodation during performances
    • Chaperone details
    • Details about the organisation/persons for whom you will be working or performing
    • Details about when and where the employment or entertainment will be taking place


  3. What is your personal information used for?

    We use your personal information to meet our legal duties in dealing with applications for children to be employed, or take part in a performance. We require a range of details, including personal data, as part of the licensing process and without it, will not be able to progress the application. The processing of your data is necessary for assessing your application and administering the licensing regime. This includes:

    • Making decisions on whether to issue a licence or permit
    • To help safeguard vulnerable children
    • The prevention or detection of crime and/or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders (law enforcement purposes)
    • Education, training and development requirement of council staff


  4. What is the lawful basis we are relying on?

    We collect and use your personal information because it is necessary to perform our public task, as per Article 6(1)(e) of the GDPR. The Premises Licensing Team is responsible for the processing of applications and payments for the licences, certificates and notices provided under the following legislation:

    • Children and Young Persons Act 1933 
    • Children and Young Persons Act 1963 
    • Children (Performances and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014


  5. Where has the personal information come from?

    Most of the personal information that we hold is provided by you in your licence application and the supporting documents you provided with it.

    We may also collect or receive information from external parties such as:

    • Schools
    • Concerned professionals or members of the public
    • Colleagues in other internal departments
    • Colleagues in other local authorities
    • Employers

    Some of the documents we ask for, like permission from your child's school, may contain personal data as well as copies of correspondence, emails, letters and notes of telephone conversations.

  6. Who will we share your personal information with?

    Personal data is shared and received securely with other parties and organisations, where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so as part of the licensing process. We may share your information with:

    • Police
    • Other Local Authorities
    • Other departments within the Authority
    • Other organisations where the disclosure is necessary for law enforcement purposes

    Children’s Performance Licence information (including name, date of birth, parent or guardian name(s) and name of school and photograph of the child) is sent to the applicant of the licence, parent or guardian, school and the Local Authority where the performance is taking place.

    We only share the child’s information (name, date of birth, postcode, Local Authority where the child lives and district) as part of a Body of Person Approval (BOPA) if the child lives out of Manchester and this is requested by their Local Authority

    Work permits are sent to the employer, parent and school only. This includes name, date of birth, home address, school and year group.

    Inspection reports are shared with the Local Authority where the child lives and the applicant responsible for the production only. Under a Performance Licence this will include the name of the child and date of birth, the Local Authority that issued the Performance Licence and details of chaperones (their name, issuing authority and expiry date). Under a BOPA we do not share details of children, only the chaperones, unless there are children who live outside of Manchester performing, and their Local Authority requests the information.

    We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities where required to do so by applicable law.

  7. Automated decision making and profiling

    All the decisions we make about you require human intervention, so there will be no data processed by automated decision making.

  8. How long will we keep your information?

    We retain personal information in accordance with our disposal schedule. The periods for which information is retained are considered reasonable to enable us to undertake our statutory and regulatory functions.

  9. Your personal information and your rights

    You can find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service. Your rights apply to the information held by the Council as a data controller, and the information we hold on behalf of the other data controllers.

  10. Contacting us about your data and updates

    If you have any questions or concerns about how we use your personal information, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

    You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you're unhappy about how we process your information.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.