The difference between the vehicles
There are two types of taxi:
Hackney carriages (black cabs)
- London-style cabs which are wheelchair accessible
- can be flagged down on the street, at an authorised rank, or can be pre-booked
- display white front and rear taxi licence plates
- charge metered fares that we regulate.
Private hire vehicles (mini cabs)
- White or silver saloon or minibus vehicles which display yellow front and rear private hire licence plates
- display yellow stickers with the name of the private hire company
- charge fares set by private hire companies
- can only be pre-booked through a private hire company (they are not insured to carry you unless pre-booked)
All licensed taxis in Manchester have a plate fixed to the front and back of the vehicle, showing a unique licence number (white plates for hackney carriages (black cab) and yellow plates for private hire vehicles.
For your safety, only use licensed vehicles as these drivers passed our checks. All drivers will be wearing their license badge. See taxi register.