People and communities Asylum Seekers and Refugees

Government Provision for Asylum Seekers and Refugees

Sign Video

The Council has a statutory responsibility to offer assistance to asylum seekers under the National Assistance Act of 1948. We have a duty to provide accommodation and benefits to asylum seekers whilst they await the outcome of their case with the Home Office. However, following changes in the law due to the Immigration and Asylum Act of 1999, asylum seekers that arrive after April 2000 no longer have a right to assistance and do not have to be provided for by the Council.

Instead, the Home Office provides support through the National Asylum Support Service (NASS). We administer the various benefits asylum seekers are entitled to and also make provisions for temporary accommodation. Services which might be available are assistance with finding accommodation and support to integrate into British Society.

Who is it for?

The service is for asylum seekers - people who arrive in the UK from overseas having left their own country, but who have not yet been given the right to stay, and Refugees - people who have been granted asylum in the UK.

How do I know if I'm eligible?

The contact service for social care should be the first point of contact - we have contact officers who can speak a variety of different languages to help.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.