- All households with a domestic electricity connection in England, Scotland and Wales are eligible for a £400 discount to help with their energy bills through the government's Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS)
- See if you qualify for help with fuel poverty: if you're struggling to pay your fuel bills or are at risk of being disconnected, you may qualify for a grant that's paid directly onto your pre-paid meter card (if you've had a grant in the last 12 months, you can't apply again)
- You might qualify for the government's Warm Home Discount Scheme: if you're on a low income, you might qualify for this one-off discount on your electricity costs
- The government also offer a Winter Fuel Payment: if you were born before 6 January 1952 you could get a tax-free sum to help pay your heating bills
- You can also apply for the government's Cold Weather Payments if you’re getting certain benefits, and the local temperature is, or is forecast to be, at, or below, freezing for seven consecutive days.
- The Local Energy Advice Partnership (LEAP) can help people in, or at risk of falling into fuel poverty save money. See how LEAP could work for you.
- For free advice and support on household energy bills helping you keep warm and safe in your home contact the National Energy Action (NEA)
- The Winter Household Support Fund is currently being delivered. Details of which households qualify for this support is available online
- Priority Service Register - free support from energy suppliers to support vulnerable people.
A gas or electricity supplier can cut you off if you don't pay your bill, so - if you're having difficulty paying - contact them straight away and come to a repayment agreement. See Citizens Advice Bureau energy advice.
You can also get advice on cutting your energy bills
A water company can not disconnect you. But they can get a county court judgment against you if you don't make an arrangement to pay. If you are a United Utilities customer, find out what help there is if you're having difficulty paying your water bill.