Manchester City Council

Benefits & support Help with energy bills

You may be entitled to payments and discounts to help pay your energy bills.

  • Help with fuel poverty:  if you are struggling to pay your fuel bills or are at risk of being disconnected, you may qualify for a grant of between £30 and £49 which is paid directly onto your pre-paid meter card. If you've had a grant in the last 12 months, you can't apply again.  See if you qualify for help with fuel poverty.
  • The Warm Home Discount Scheme: if you are on a low income, you may qualify for this one-off discount on your electricity costs, usually paid between October and March. See if you qualify on the government's website: warm homes discount scheme
  • Winter fuel payment: you could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born before 6 January 1952. See if you qualify on the government's website: winter fuel payment
  • Cold Weather Payments: you may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits, and the local temperature is, or is forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days. See if you qualify on the government's website: cold weather payment

If you don't pay your bills

A gas or electricity supplier can cut you off if you don't pay your bill. If you're having difficulty paying, contact them straight away and come to a repayment agreement. See Citizens Advice Bureau energy advice.

A water company can not disconnect you. But it can get a county court judgment against you if you don't make an arrangement to pay

If you are a United Utilities customer, you can get financial help from their Trust Fund

If you have a United Utilities water meter look at their Watersure financial assistance scheme.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?