Planning and regeneration Building regulation approval

Check what work you're doing

If you've already checked the government's planning portal and know you need building regulation approval, we need to know what type of work you are doing: major building work or alterations and installations.

Substantial building work

  • constructing or extending a building
  • converting a loft
  • making structural alterations
  • making changes to a building where people are employed.

There are two ways to apply for approval for substantial building work. Choose which application to use.

Alterations and installations

  • installing or replacing a heating system or boiler
  • installing or replacing an oil tank
  • installing a new bathroom that will involve plumbing
  • putting in a fixed air conditioning system
  • adding extra radiators to an existing heating system
  • replacing fuse boxes, or installing any new electrics
  • changing electrics near a bath or shower
  • replacing windows and doors
  • replacing roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs .

There are two ways to apply for approval for alterations and installations. Choose which application to use.

You don’t need to get building approval yourself for alterations and installations if you use someone registered with a 'competent person scheme'.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.