Planning and regeneration Get permission to demolish a building

By law, if you want to demolish a building or part of a building you have to get permission first. This is called giving us a 'demolition notice' which you can do using our online form.

You need to tell us:

  • what is being demolished
  • who is doing the demolition
  • who owns the building
  • your details, or those of the person arranging it all.

You must also give us a site location plan showing the area where the work is being done and what is being demolished. This should be on a scale not less than 1:1250. You can attach this as part of the online form.

If you cannot scan and attach this don't worry, at the end of the form we’ll tell you how to send it to us. Just remember we cannot deal with your application until we have it.

You may also need to:

Once we have your notice we’ll issue you with a ‘notice of conditions’. This tells you what other work you have to do as part of the demolition. This could include contacting the planning officer to see if the building is listed or getting permission to close roads or pavements.

By law we must provide this within 6 weeks, but we always aim to provide it in 4 weeks or less.

You must do everything in the notice of conditions to demolish the building legally.

Check our list of buildings you do not need to give a demolition notice for before you send your notice.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.