Planning and regeneration Get permission to demolish a building

Buildings you do not need to give a demolition notice for

You may still need to get planning permission and you should check to see if your building is on the listed buildings register but you don't need to give a demolition notice for:

  • buildings under 50m³ in external volume; or
  • a greenhouse, shed, conservatory or prefabricated garage that's part of a larger building; or
  • an agricultural building - unless it's touching another building that's not an agricultural building; or
  • an internal part of a building, where it's intended to continue occupying the building during the demolition, such as a house being refurbished while the family still live there.

For everything else, or if you aren't sure, ask for permission.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.