Area 1 - Chorlton Road
Chorlton Road - from Chester Road to Upper Chorlton Road
Chorlton Road forms the most northern section of the Manchester to Chorlton Cycle route, and connects Brooks Bar junction to the off-road cycle tracks at Chester Road roundabout, which lead into the city centre. The route is already well used and is popular with commuters and students.
This section will link to the existing cycle lanes being developed along Stretford Road from Old Trafford by Trafford council, and the rest of the route leading to Chorlton Park through the centre of Chorlton.
Comments from the consultation:
- does not support the Toucan crossing design at Stretford Road Junction, would like to see the other (as Royce Road) junction designs used here
- scheme needs to safely bring cyclists from roundabout into this scheme / request for signalised crossing here / coordination between schemes
- two-way cycle lane on the west side of the carriageway from Chester Road roundabout south is preferred
- Ayres Road parking problem needs addressing
- review width of vehicular lane southbound from Royce Road junction
- concerned about 'rat running' through Ayres Road area due to Shrewsbury Street closure
Next steps for Chester Road to Stretford Road
This area will now be constructed, including the implementation of the Royce Road revised signalised junction, which includes segregated cycle lanes. This will allow for the new style of junction design to be reviewed, and if necessary, modifications can be made prior to similar junction designs further south along the route being implemented. We are aiming to make a start on site towards the end of October 2019
Proposed changes from the consultation (now closed)
- marked cycle lane, with coloured surfacing and cycle symbols
- solar-powered road studs
- buff-coloured uncontrolled pedestrian crossing points, including tactile paving
- widening of footway at junction to reduce speeds through the junction.
The information on the design of specific streets is being reviewed.