Crime, antisocial behaviour and nuisance Get help and advice about domestic abuse

Legal action and how we can support you

If you need to get off this page quickly for any reason, click this button and the page will automatically switch you to the BBC website

You can look into taking legal action to stop domestic abuse or prevent it from happening again. This includes civil action, such as injunctions and orders to protect children and criminal action where the police become involved (including if you are being harassed or followed).

The helplines will give you advice on this, or if you want to apply for orders yourself, the council’s Independent Domestic Abuse Advisors can support you to do it.

There are also legal orders that you can apply for in various circumstances to order the abusive person to leave your home, or to keep them away from it.

To find out more about these legal powers, and the support we can give you, contact us by email or by telephone on 0161 234 5393.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.