Health and wellbeing Support for someone with a sensory loss

Registration as partially sighted (sight impaired), or blind (severely sight impaired)

If you have sight loss, your GP or high street optician may refer you to an ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who can assess if you meet the criteria for registration as sight impaired or severely sight impaired.

Registration can entitle you to a range of benefits and services. To find out more visit the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) website

Once a person is registered a Certificate of Visual Impairment is issued to the Sensory Service who will then contact the registered person to discuss any support that may be available.

You don’t need to be registered to receive advice and support from the Sensory Service and can choose not to be registered if you prefer. However, we actively encourage people to contact us at the earliest opportunity to discuss their sensory loss.

If you are registered, but the details of your registration change, such as a new address, for example, you can let us know of the changes by completing our online form.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.