Licences and permissions Underage sales

Video tapes and DVDs (including computer games)

Categories of recording certificates

It is illegal to supply a video recording to anybody who hasn't reached the correct age, or to supply a video recording without the required label on it, and on its case.

If you are not sure that a customer is over 18, ask for proof of age. This can be a passport, photo driving licence or a PASS accredited proof of age card. If you are still unsure, you should refuse the sale.

You may wish to record the details in a refusals register to show that you are doing this.

Your staff should be fully trained in the sale of age restricted products. Any training they receive should be documented in a record of training.

It is illegal to supply a R18 video other than in a licensed sex shop.

U film classification Universal (capital U in a blue triangle) suitable for children aged 4 years and over. Though it is impossible to tell what might upset a particular child, U rated films are set within a particular morale framework offering reassuring counterbalances to any violence or terror.

Uc film classification Universal (capital U and lower case c in a blue triangle) Particularly suitable for young children.

PG Film classification Parental Guidance (capital PG in a yellow triangle) General viewing, but some scenes may not be suitable for young children.

15 film classification 15 years and over (number 15 in a red and white circle) Suitable only for persons of 15 years and over.

18 film classification 18 years and over (number 18 in a red circle) Suitable only for persons of 18 years and over.

R18 Film classification Restricted 18 (capital R and number 18 in a blue square) Restricted to be supplied only in a licensed sex shop and to persons of not less than 18 years

Reporting underage sales

If you think somebody might be selling selling these products to anyone under the minimum age, please report them at the Citizens Advice Bureau. They manage the national Consumer Advice Service and can forward the details on to (for example) Trading Standards.



Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.