Ceremonies available and fees information
What will the ceremony be like?
The Superintendent Registrar will begin by welcoming you and your guests followed by the traditional marriage ceremony introduction.
The Standard Ceremony does not include readings or music.
The Enhanced Ceremony in the Pankhurst Suite or at an approved premises, gives you the chance to design the ceremony yourselves, using our online ceremony planner (you will be provided with a username and password at the time of booking your ceremony), or where necessary the pack can be provided in booklet form with a checklist to complete and return. There are certain words that must be included by law (the Declaration and the Contract) but there is an element of choice, and you can lengthen the ceremony further by using readings or poetry, but these must not have any religious content.
Music can be played at the start of the ceremony and during the signing of the schedule. We have a speaker available for Bluetooth enabled devices. Please note the music cannot be religious in nature.
Confetti is not permitted in or outside of Heron House.
How long will the ceremony be?
The times of the enhanced ceremony will be dependent upon the choices you have made and any readings you have included.
What will happen on the day?
Ceremony times at licensed venues
For ceremonies at approved premises, we need to allow time for our registrars to travel between venues, so can only offer ceremonies at set times. These are:
Monday to Friday 11am, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm
Saturday 11am, 12noon, 12:30pm, 1pm, 2pm, 2.30pm, 3pm, 4pm, 4:30pm, 6pm
Sunday and Bank Holidays 11am, 12noon, 12.30pm, 1pm, 2pm, 2:30pm, 3pm, 4pm and 4:30pm
Information about fees
Notice of Intention to Marry fees
£35 per person, or
£47 per person (if, as a couple, you are referred to the Home Office, under the referral and investigation scheme)
Fee for consideration of documentation of a divorce / dissolution outside the British Isles
£50 or £75 check which applies to you.
Ceremony fees at The Pankhurst Suite
The fees for ceremonies in the Pankhurst Suite:
- Monday, Tuesday or Thursday, at 9:10am or 9:50am - the fee is £57. (The couple, and two witnesses only. No guests. This is a basic, standard ceremony.)
- Monday, Tuesday or Thursday from 10.30am - 3pm or Friday from 9:10am - 3pm - the fee is £225.00 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee (This is an enhanced ceremony with the couple and up to 70 guests.)
- Saturday 9:10am - 11.10am - the fee is £350.00 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee (This is an enhanced ceremony with the couple and up to 70 guests)
- Saturday 1pm - 3pm - the fee is £376.00 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee (This is an enhanced ceremony with the couple and up to 70 guests)
The Pankhurst Suite is not available on Wednesdays.
Download an outline of the standard ceremony
Ceremony fees at other licensed venues in Manchester
The fees for registrars to attend are:
- Monday to Friday. £500 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee daytime until 4pm. £652 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee evening, 6pm
- Saturday. £600 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee daytime until 4.30pm. £652 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee evening, 6pm
- Sunday and Bank Holidays. £700 plus a £40 non-refundable booking fee daytime until 4:30pm
All prices include the cost of one marriage certificate. These are reviewed annually. The total fee is non-refundable if you cancel your ceremony within three months of the ceremony date.
Any additional certificates requested before the date of the ceremony will cost £11. Further certificates can be purchased at a later date if required.
Paying your fees
For a standard ceremony in the Pankhurst Suite, the full fee must be paid at the time of booking. For other ceremonies, an initial, non-refundable, deposit must be paid when the ceremony is booked, of £40.
The balance of the fee must be paid three months before the ceremony. If you book your ceremony within three months of the ceremony date, the full fee will need to be paid at the time of booking and will be non-refundable.
You can pay the balance of your fees on-line, or we accept payment in the office by:
- credit/debit card
- cheque or postal order made payable to Manchester City Council.