Byelaws regarding Skateboarding
Byelaws made under section 235 of the Local Government Act 1972 by the Council of the City of Manchester for the good rule and government of the City of Manchester and the prevention and suppression of nuisances
- (1) In these byelaws :
“the Council” means Manchester City Council
“the city centre” means all that area of Manchester outlined in black on the map attached to these byelaws being all the area bounded by the River Irwell, Regent Road, Dawson Street, Egerton Street, Mancunian Way, Fairfield Street, Pin Mill Brow, Great Ancoats Street, New Cross, Swan Street, Miller Street, Cheetham Hill Road, and Trinity Way
“highway” means the whole or a part of a highway other than a ferry or waterway
“carriageway” means a way constituting or comprised in a highway, being a way (other than a cycle track) over which the public have a right of way for the passage of vehicles
“footway” means a way comprised in a highway which also comprises a carriageway, being a way over which the public have a right of way on foot only.
“designated area” means any area named in the Schedule to these byelaws
2. (1) Byelaw 3(1) applies throughout the city centre but not to any designated area.
(2) Byelaw 3(2) applies to all the designated area.
3. (1) No person shall on any footway or carriageway skate, slide or ride on rollers, skateboards, wheels, mechanical contrivances or other equipment in such a manner as to cause danger or nuisance or give reasonable grounds for annoyance to other persons lawfully using the footway or carriageway.
(2) No person shall skate, slide or ride on rollers, skateboards, wheels, mechanical contrivances or other equipment in a designated area.
4. Any person offending against any of these byelaws shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.
5. The “designated areas” referred to in the byelaw 3(2) and delineated by black hatching on the plan attached to these byelaws are as follows :
All the area bounded by Deansgate ; Victoria Street ; Hunt’s Bank ; Victoria Station Approach ; Millgate ; Long Todd Street ; Corporation Street and St. Mary’s Gate.
All of Exchange Street ; St. Ann’s Square ; St. Anne’s Street ; King Street between Cross Street and Deansgate ; Market Street ; Mosley Street ; Library Walk ; Albert Square and St. Peter’s Square.
All the area bounded by West Mosley Street ; Peter Street ; Lower Mosley Street ; Oxford Street and St. Peter’s Square.
All the area bounded by Mosley Street ; Parker Street ; Portland Street ; Lever Street ; Piccadilly and Market Street and commonly known as Piccadilly Gardens.