Bins, rubbish and recycling Get rid of a large unwanted item

Use a registered rubbish collector

Your waste, your responsibility

You have a legal Duty of Care to ensure you get rid of your rubbish or unwanted items correctly and you should always use a registered rubbish collector/waste carrier. 

Rubbish collectors or waste carriers are often people in white vans or trucks, for example the local 'scrap man', offering to take your unwanted items. To do this legally they should be registered.

Find a registered waste carrier in your area.

You can be prosecuted, or receive a £400 Fixed Penalty Notice, if you pass your rubbish or unwanted items to a rubbish collector/waste carrier without checking they are registered. 

Hiring someone to remove your waste

Follow the  SCRAP code before you hire someone to remove your waste:

  • Suspect all waste carriers. Don’t let them take your rubbish until they provide proof of registration. Note their vehicle’s registration plate
  • Check that a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency’s website
  • Refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away
  • Ask how your rubbish will be disposed of – seek evidence of this
  • Paperwork must be obtained. Ask for a proper invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, and the paperwork should include a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier’s contact details.

Get more information and advice from Recycle for Greater Manchester

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.