People and communities Help for older people

Help for older people 

Retirement age

In the UK, the official age of retirement is 66. Unless you are a man born before December 6 1953, your State Pension Age is the same as your Pension Credit age.  
When you reach State Pension age or Pension Credit age you should check the benefits you can claim from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) . 

Things you can't claim

When you or your partner reach Pension Credit age, you can no longer claim: 

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 
  • Income Support 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) 
  • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

Things you can claim

There are benefits you can claim even if you are over State Pension age: 

There are also benefits you can claim (once you're over State Pension age) if you meet the benefit-specific income threshold. These are:

Other support 

A new guide to keeping well during the winter - Winterwise - is now available. Created by The Greater Manchester Ageing Hub in partnership with Independent Age, a national older person’s charity, the guide includes useful information on cost of living support, and focuses on three key themes:

  • Stay warm: information about the financial support that older people could access to help with rising energy costs
  • Stay safe: home safety advice for older people including fire safety, how to spot and report scams, and what to do if they fall
  • Stay well: tips and advice on mental health and wellbeing, eating well and keeping active

See the guide online at or call 0800 319 6789 quoting Free Guide 338

The NHS website has general health and wellbeing advice about how to stay well in winter

For emergency home repairs such as no heating, if you're over 60 and / or in receipt of benefits, see what Manchester Care and Repair can help you with. 

Help with energy bills


Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.