Social services Your education

If you are a child in care, it’s important to keep the rest of your life as steady as possible. You’ll probably keep going to the same school but, if you do change school, you’ll get lots of help settling in.

Your school will have what’s called a ‘designated teacher’ – a teacher who knows about being in care and what it means. They understand that you might feel confused and unsettled, so they’re not just there to make sure you do as well as you can with your work and activities. You can also talk to them if being in care is making school hard for you.

Your own teacher and the headteacher will know you’re in care, but we won’t tell anybody else unless they need to know so they can help you.

If you’re not sure what to tell people at school about being in care, your social worker and the designated teacher can help you work out what to say if you like.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.