Types and cost of research
We can do one search (up to 30 minutes) of one specific source we hold for a charge of £17.50 including VAT.
Where possible this will include a photocopy or print of the entry (please include your full postal address when you contact us so that we can post prints to you).
Specific sources which we can search include:
- General Register Office indexes of births, marriages and deaths
- Church records (which are not already online)
- Electoral registers
- Probate records
- Court records
- Vehicle licensing records, and
Once we have received your request we aim to respond within 10 working days.
For in-depth research, the charge is £35 per hour including VAT (or for part of an hour). The minimum booking is 1 hour and the maximum research we can do is 3 hours.
- an experienced staff member to do your research
- up to four A4 or two A3 photocopies (where appropriate) for personal use, and
- postage of your research report.
It does not include:
- extra photocopies or other reprographic service charges,
- reproduction fees for use of images or quotes in publications,
- internet or broadcasts,
- scans or digital images, and
- extra postage and packing.
Complex research enquiries may take up to 20 working days. Searches are carried out in the order we receive them.
What can I do myself?
- Search online using our resources
- School records, industrial school records, private cemetery records, workhouse records, and prison records at findmypast
- Our cemetery records (fees apply)
- Manchester Guardian and the Times via our online reference library
- Anglican church registers for the Diocese of Manchester at Ancestry, and
- Rate books are now available from 1706 to 1901 on findmypast.
Free access to findmypast and Ancestry is available at any of our libraries.