Bus gates are stretches of road that are only open to buses, black cabs and pedal cycles.
- By buses we mean motor vehicles built or adapted to carry a minimum of 9 passengers (not including the driver).
- By black cabs we mean the hackney carriages you can flag down on the street, not private hire taxis.
The start of these stretches are marked either by ‘no motor vehicles’ signs (a red circle with a picture of a motorbike above a car inside) or a ‘Buses only’ sign (a blue circle with pictures of the permitted vehicles inside, such as a bus, cycle and taxi.)
If you drive on these stretches of road you could be fined up to £60.
There are six bus gates in Manchester:
- The Oxford Road bus gate
- The Portland street bus gate
- The King Street bus gate
- The Deansgate bus gate
- The Bridge Street bus gate
- The Princess Street bus gate
Please note, these bus gates may not always show up on your SatNav, depending on which system you use. Always ensure you check the physical road signs.