Parking Apply for a dropped kerb

Dropped kerbs: definition and requirements

Dropped kerbs are lowered areas of pavement outside of a property that have been strengthened and made into a ramp shape to allow for a vehicle to cross the pavement and park on the property.

Planning permission

In order to apply for a dropped kerb you will need to get planning permission if the proposed kerb is on an A road, B road, or classified road. If you are unsure which your road is, after we have reviewed your application, we will contact you to let you know if you need planning permission.


All dropped kerb applications require planning permission unless the road is stated as a unclassified road type

Types of road:

  • A road: major road providing large-scale transport links within or between areas
  • B road: connects different areas and feeds traffic between A roads and smaller roads on the network
  • Classified: sometimes known unofficially as C roads, these smaller roads connect unclassified roads with A and B roads, eg linking a housing estate or village to the rest of the network 
  • Unclassified: local road intended for local traffic

The maximum size of a standard dropped kerb is 3m x 2m, and this costs £900 (larger dropped kerbs will cost more.) You may also be charged extra if we need to remove any obstructions.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.