Manchester City Council

Benefits & support We sometimes overpay your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

How to pay a bill (invoice) if we send you one

If we can't take the money back from your weekly benefit we send you a bill (an invoice).

You can pay using any of these methods:

  • Online payment service pick 'Repay Housing Benefit overpayment'. You will need your debit or credit card and your Benefits number, which is on the invoice.
  • Automated phone payment service - ring 0161 234 5006 open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make payments. You will need your debit or credit card and your invoice number.
  • Pay online or BACS payment to Barclays Bank, 51 Mosley Street, Manchester M60 2AU. Please give the following details:
    bank sort code: 20-55-58
    account number: 53348075
    bank account name: Manchester City Council - Receipts
    Please also include your invoice number.
  • Post Office or PayPoint, outlet - take the invoice we sent you with you and you can scan the barcode on it and pay the bill.
  • Phone us on 0161 234 5003 between 9am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, to discuss paying in instalments or to pay with your debit or credit card. Please have your invoice ready. You can also ask us for a standing order form if you wish to pay by standing order.

If you don't contact us or don't keep to the arrangement you agreed to we will take further action:

  • We can ask your employer to deduct money from your pay each payday until your overpayment is cleared.
  • We can use a collection agency to call at your home to recover the money. 
  • We can register your debt with the county court which will affect your credit rating.
  • If you owe us a large amount of money we may take steps to make you bankrupt.






Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?