Benefits and support Claim housing benefit or check if you're entitled

Housing Benefit helps with your housing costs if you:

  • live in supported or temporary accommodation; or
  • get one of these benefits and it includes a Severe Disability Premium -
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • income-related Employment Support Allowance
    • Income Support

We will check if you can get Council Tax Support so you can apply for it at the same time and only have to fill the form in once.

You need your national insurance number to claim. Don’t worry if you don’t have it with you now – you can start the form, save it and come back to it later. 

If you are not in one of the groups that can claim Housing Benefit to help with housing costs check if you can get Universal Credit on GOV.UK

If you or your partner are pension-age, you either claim help with housing costs from us or you claim help with housing costs from Universal Credit - it depends on your circumstances

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?