Benefits and support Find out if you can claim Council Tax Support and make a claim

If you need help to pay your Council Tax, whatever your age and circumstances, you must claim Council Tax Support.

The quickest and easiest way to check and claim is to use our claim calculator. It will work out how much you can get and then you can go on to make your claim.

When you make your claim, you need to give details about yourself and anyone else you live with. If you don’t have all the information now you can save the form and come back to it later.

If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit

We have decided that in Manchester, we will treat your Universal Credit claim as a Council Tax Support claim as well, as long as you say you want to claim Council Tax Support when you make your claim for Universal Credit - you don't need to use this claim calculator.

But if your Universal Credit claim is refused you must make a separate claim for Council Tax Support.

If you are pension-age

When you claim Council Tax Support we will also work out if you can get a benefit called Second Adult Rebate to help with Council Tax instead. If you qualify for it, and it would make you better off than being on Council Tax Support, we will pay that instead.

If you are a student

Most students are either exempt from Council Tax or get a reduction on their bill so don't need to claim Council Tax Support. See money off council tax for students and people who live with students.

You can read the full rules for who can get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support here.

There are also other ways you can get money off your Council Tax bill.


Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.