If you can give us enough information to identify the record in our indexes, you can buy a copy of the certificate. We don't need to see any identification.
For each type of certificate you'll need the following details:
- birth - name on the certificate, date of birth, place of birth (address or hospital name) and one or both parent’s names.
- death - the deceased's name, date of death and place of death.
- marriage - name of both parties, date of marriage and specific place of marriage (i.e. venue, church name etc.).
- civil partnership - name of both parties, date and place of civil partnership. If you want the standard certificate (not just the extract) you must also provide the partners’ full addresses.
How to apply
You can apply for a copy certificate online or by post. Make sure you have everything you need before you apply.
It's quick and easy to apply for a copy certificate online.
- Apply for a copy birth certificate (in the application form, you can choose a full or a short certificate; the fee is the same. For a first British passport, and most other purposes, you'll need a full birth certificate)
- Apply for a copy death certificate
- Apply for a copy marriage certificate
- Apply for a copy civil partnership certificate
Download an application form and then post it to either:
- Central Library for birth certificates before 1922; death certificates and marriage certificates before 1947, or
- The Register Office in Heron House for birth certificates from 1922 to the present date; death certificates and marriage certificates from 1947 to the present date, and civil partnership certificates.
Total cost: £11
We aim to process applications in 15 working days
Certificates will be posted second class.
Please don’t contact us to check where your certificate is until 4 weeks after you applied.
Our Priority Service should be used if you need your certificate more quickly.
For certificates applied for online or by post:
There are two postage options available. Option 2 is currently only available for records held at the Manchester Register Office. (Birth certificates from 1920 to the present date; death certificates and marriage certificates from 1945 to the present date; civil partnership certificates.)
- Option 1: £35. We’ll send your certificate within 24 working hours of receiving your application by first class post. (For guaranteed next day delivery Option 2 is recommended.
- Option 2: £42. We’ll send your certificate within 24 working hours of receiving your application by Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm next working day to the UK mainland. This option includes tracking and signature on delivery online or via your mobile. For overseas applicants certificates will be sent by Royal Mail International Signed.
How to pay
You can pay by:
- cheque or postal order (made payable to Manchester City Council)
- credit/debit card (required for online purchases)