Council tax Special discount for apprentices, youth trainees, foreign language assistants and school-leavers

If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25% discount off your Council Tax.

If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50% discount.

In limited circumstances some school-leavers can also qualify for a 25% discount.

To qualify as the following student types you must meet these requirements:

  • An Apprentice is someone who is
    • employed to learn a trade, business or profession and
    • undertaking a training programme leading to a qualification accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (for example, City and Guilds), and
    • receiving a salary, or allowance which is no more than £195 per week before tax and national insurance

You will need to provide evidence of your salary and course attendance.

  • A person aged 18 or 19 and has recently left school or college is disregarded for Council Tax purposes if:
    • they are under the age of 20; and
    • they have, after 30 April and before 1 November in any year, ceased to undertake a full-time course of education or a qualifying course of education.
    • 18 years old and have just left school or college, and someone is receiving Child Benefit for them, or
    • under 20 and left a qualifying course of education (at least 12 study hours per week for a qualification up to A-Level) on or after 1 May; in this case a disregard would only apply until 31 October of the same year

You will need to provide a copy of your student certificate.

If you are the parent or guardian of a person aged 18 or 19 that lives in your home and you receive Child Benefit for them, you will need to provide evidence to confirm that you are in receipt of child benefit. Find out more information about the proof you need for child benefit.

  • A foreign language assistant
    • You are registered with the British Council as a foreign language assistant and have a current appointment as a foreign language assistant at a school or other educational institution.

You will need to provide evidence to confirm that you are employed as a foreign language assistant, including the name and address of your college and your appointment.

  • A youth trainee
    • You are under 25 and have an individual training plan funded by the Skills Funding Agency or the Young People’s Learning Agency

You will need to provide evidence from your training provider showing you qualify as a youth trainee.

After you've applied for a discount

You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

  • If you get the discount we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. Tell us if your circumstances change in the meantime as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.
  • If you don't get the discount, you can report a problem with your bill
Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.