Council tax Special discount when someone in your home is mentally disabled

You can get a reduction in your council tax if someone aged 18 or over lives with you, is mentally disabled and not counted for Council Tax purposes. The rules say they must be 'severely mentally impaired', - this includes people who have been diagnosed as suffering with severe and enduring mental health issues including Alzheimer's disease, other forms of dementia and strokes.

Their condition must be confirmed by a doctor.

The mentally disabled person must also qualify for one of these benefits even if they don't receive it, for example because they are pension age:

  • Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • The ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work related elements’ of Universal Credit

A mentally disabled person in your household does not always lead to a reduction in Council Tax: there can be no reduction if two or more people in the household are counted for Council Tax purposes. Apply if you are not sure so that we can check.

If only one person (or a number of people) live at the property and they are all mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt from Council Tax. Print off the application form and doctor's certificate, If there is more than one person in the property each person needs to complete their own form so please print the number of forms needed.

Apply for a Severely Mentally Impaired Person's Discount if you live with someone else

Print off the application form and doctor's certificate, fill in the form, ask your doctor or other health professional who knows about your condition to fill in the doctor's certificate and return both to us:

After you've applied for the discount

You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

  • Please tell us if your circumstances change as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.
  • If you don't get the discount, you can report a problem with your bill

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?