Council tax Money off council tax for people leaving care

If you have been in care – for instance if you lived in a care home or were fostered – you may be able to get money off your council tax bill until you reach the age of 25.

To apply you must have been in care:

  • on your 16th birthday; and
  • for at least 13 weeks from the age of 14.

You will need to know:

  • how long you were in care
  • when you were in care
  • where you were in care
  • the details of anyone living with you, including the date they moved in.

If you were in care with a council other than us you will need to provide contact details for the council so we can check.

If you are not a care leaver but a care leaver moves in with you, report your change in circumstances.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?