If you have been in care – for instance if you lived in a care home or were fostered – you may be able to get money off your council tax bill until you reach the age of 25.
To apply you must have been in care:
- on or after your 16th birthday; and
- for at least 13 weeks (continuous or not) anytime from the age of 14.
You will need to know:
- how long you were in care
- when you were in care
- where you were in care
- the details of anyone living with you, including the date they moved in.
If you were in care with a council other than us you will need to provide contact details for the council so we can check.
If your immigration status means that you are unable to access or claim public funds, you will not be eligible for a care leaver discount.
Where eligible, anyone applying for a care leavers discount, should also claim:
- a single person's discount
- a student discount or exemption
- Council Tax Support if on low income.
If you are not a care leaver but a care leaver moves in with you, report your change in circumstances.