Technical issues

It’s taking longer to process some of our forms due to a technical issue. Please continue to use our forms and we will handle your requests as soon as possible.


Council tax Council tax: if someone in your household dies

When somebody dies we need to update the council tax account:

  • We will transfer any credit to a new account, or refund it to the person's executor or representative (the person who deals with their personal affairs).
  • If you are a surviving partner and you confirm that you are now the only adult in the household, we will give you a single person discount.
  • If the person was an owner-occupier who lived alone, we'll exempt the property from council tax until it's occupied again, or until probate is granted. Charges may become payable after six months.
  • If the household is claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, or the surviving partner may now qualify for benefit, we will adjust the claim if necessary.

Use the Tell Us Once service to report a death to most government organisations and council departments in one go.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.