Homes and property Responsibility for home and property repairs

Rented homes

If you rent your home, you can ask the landlord or housing association to do repairs. Get more information if you rent from:

If you own the home

You are responsible for repairs even if you don't live in the property. See more information on owning an empty home.

If you are a private landlord you are legally required to carry out repairs. If you neglect the property, and it affects your neighbours, we can tell you to put it right. See advice for problems in a home as you may be liable for any damage caused to your neighbour's property. 

The Manchester renting pledge shows the standards a good landlord should offer. It describes a tenant's responsibilities too.

Other types of property

Get advice if you are an older or disabled person who can't afford vital repair or maintenance work.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?