Homes and property Electricity problems in your home

Dangerous wiring, sockets and electrical fixtures

Exposed wiring (copper conductor showing) or sparking sockets in a home can be dangerous and care should be taken, particularly if there are vulnerable people in your home

What you should do:

If you are an owner-occupier it is your responsibility to fix the problem. Contact a registered contractor such as NICEIC or similar.

If you are a tenant your landlord is responsible for fixing the problem. Contact them first to let them know and agree when the work can be carried out. Give them the opportunity to sort it out before contacting us.  Private landlords in England are now required to carry out 5 yearly electrical installation checks by a competent person to ensure they are safe, and provide copies to their tenants. If you're having problems dealing with your landlord follow these steps.  

Advice for tenants and landlords:

 If you are a landlord and need to notify us regarding electrical safety issues in your rented property please email us at

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.