Renting an allotment
If you enjoy working outdoors and like a challenge then an allotment could be perfect for you. Allotments can be hard work at times but seeing your fruit and vegetables grow is reward enough.
Manchester has over 2500 allotment plots across its 42 sites – some we manage directly, but most have their own voluntary group (an Allotment Association or Society) who work with us to manage the site.
Allotment rent and fees are charged annually in advance; our allotment year runs from 1 November to 31 October.
We usually invoice in October each year for payment on 1 November:
- the rent you pay will depend on the size of your plot
- the current charge (2021/2022) is 23p per sqm
- if you start a new tenancy after 1 November we will issue a pro-rata invoice to cover charges for the remainder of the allotment year
- if a tenancy ends part way through a year, any rent paid for that year is not refunded.
Please note that our rental charges – including water charges, other fees and concessions - are under review.
Notice of any changes will be published here on our website.
Notice of rent increase October 2022
- From 1 November 2022, allotment rents will increase by 1p to 24p per sqm (for the year 2022/23)
- Other charges or fees may be applied
- Concessions are under review
Concessions on rent
Currently, concessions on one plot are available for Manchester residents who are:
- aged 60 and above
- Universal Credit claimants
- disabled plot holders
Paying your rent
You must pay your allotment invoice within 40 days of it being issued - failure to pay could result in your tenancy being terminated
You can pay your allotment invoice as follows:
- By phone - on 0161 234 5006. You will need the invoice reference number and debit/credit card details available. Please select option #5 followed by #1 (for other Council invoices) and then key in the invoice number (85…. ).
- At the bank or post office - follow the payment instructions on the back of the invoice and keep evidence of any payment you have made to us.
Site Association membership fees
Allotment Site Association membership fees are not included in the annual rent - these are a matter for you and the Site Association. Membership is advised but is not compulsory.
It is your responsibility to keep your plot in good shape. Find out more about your responsibilities as a tenant