Parks, leisure and the arts Upper King Street Conservation Area

Control of development

Upper King Street is in the financial heart of the city, where almost every building is in active use. Eventually, even with regular maintenance, buildings will need to be replaced, altered or refurbished. Development proposals may, as with all conservation areas in Manchester, require either planning permission, conservation area consent, or both. In appropriate cases, listed building consent may also be required. The City Centre Area Team will give advice on such matters, and this should be sought at an early stage in the formulation of proposals.

In view of the existing excellent quality of the area, any new building or extension will be required to meet a similar high standard of design. As with other parts of the city centre, new development proposals should generally be aligned to the back of the pavement in order to preserve the linear character of the streets.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.