Glyphosate was licenced for use by the EU in 2017 and is what we use to control weeds on our roads and pavements. However, we are committed to reducing its use across land we are responsible for.
Some of the steps we have taken to reduce Glyphosate use are:
- No spraying of tree pits throughout the city
- The creation of an opt out list allowing residents and community groups to take responsibility for weed control
- The reduction of the maximum number of treatments on public highways from 3 to 2.
- Children’s play areas being treated with hot foam, jet washing and manual methods of weed control
- No application of glyphosate in parks unless for invasive and noxious weeds such as knotweed and giant hogweed