Manchester City Council

Online services unavailable

Sorry, due to technical issues, our online and telephone payment systems will be unavailable from 4am to 8am on Tuesday 21 October.


Crime, antisocial behaviour & nuisance Anti-social behaviour

We are determined to help you lead a peaceful life, free from any harassment and distress caused by a minority of anti-social people.

We deal with complaints from Manchester homeowners and private tenants free of charge, quickly dealing with troublemakers and using a range of solutions to protect our most vulnerable residents from harm. In most cases we will resolve reports informally and without the need to use any legal powers.

If you are a tenant of a registered housing provider, please contact them directly.

If you do not live in Manchester please contact the Local Authority you pay council tax too.

We can investigate anti-social behaviour caused by known individuals, with incidents such as:

  • repeat occasions of loud music
  • use or threatened use of violence
  • repeated abusive language or behaviour
  • hate crimes such as domestic violence, homophobic or racist language or behaviour
  • damage to property

We will make a record of the following types of reports and regularly review the information with partners (such as Greater Manchester Police) to help determine where we and wider Community Safety Partnership should focus our resources:

  • anti-social behaviour caused by individuals who are unknown to you
  • off road bikes
  • skateboarding

If you have experienced anti-social behaviour three times in the last six months or reported a hate crime, but think no action has been taken, you can activate the Community Trigger. 


If the anti-social behaviour puts you, your family or your property in immediate danger, you should contact the police on 999.

If you have witnessed a crime (non-emergency) please contact the police on 101.

Neighbour disputes

We recommend that you consider contacting the Council’s Mediation Service for free and impartial advice for the following type of issues:

  • occasional incidents of loud music
  • vehicles noise - not including car alarms. Report these as general noise problems.
  • legally parked vehicles
  • children playing ball games - not incidents that cause damage to property or serious intimidation. Report those incidents as anti-social behaviour.
  • problems caused by your neighbour’s pets - not including dangerous or barking dogs. Report these as problem dog issues.

Noise problems

We can help if you are experiencing general noise problems such as persistent noise from a business or a construction site, to everyday things like noisy dogs or alarm ringing.

Report a noise problem


Environmental Protection Act 1990 

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?