Manchester City Council

The Council & democracy Register to vote

Annual Electoral Registration - Register to Vote

Each person is now required to individually register themselves.  You can do this at register to vote.  You need your national insurance number and date of birth to do so.

Find out more about Individual Registration (IER).

An Invitation To Register

Council Inspectors will be calling to all properties where we have not had a response to the either the Household Enquiry Form or the Invitation to Register.  Visits will take place between Monday 5 October and and Friday 20 November.  

The purpose of these visits is to assist householders to complete their forms. 

All Council Inspectors will carry a photo identity card which they will show when they are explaining the reason for their visit.   

If you have any queries or require any more further information please call our helpline on 0161 234 1212.

Household Enquiry Forms

Every household in the city has been sent a Household Enquiry Form (HEF) called 'Who is Eligible to Vote'.  We use this to check our records and to send any person who isn't currently registered to vote an invitation to register.  By law you must respond to this form and provide the information requested; if you don't you could be fined £1000.

You can provide this information online or use the telephone or text services instead of posting the paper form to us.  If you do not have your form to hand please contact us on 0161 234 1212.

You must have your security codes to hand to use these services.  Your security codes can be found on either the front page or in the top right of page 2 of your Household Enquiry form.

What you need to do:

No Changes:  If all the information on the Household Enquiry form is correct please confirm this at:

  • or
  • by phone 0800 197 9871 or
  • text NOCHANGE  followed by your security codes to 80212.  (If nobody is eligible to vote include a reason after your security code e.g. empty, business, 2nd home, none, other).

Changes:  If you need to make any changes you can do this at:

Invitation to Register Forms

Once we know who lives at a property we send out an Invitation to Register form to every person who is not currently registered.

What you need to do:

You can provide the information at the government register to vote online service, you can use this service to:

  • Register to vote, or
  • Update your name, address or other details

It takes less than 5 minutes and saves the Council money on printing and postage.

You will need your National Insurance number and date of birth. Your National Insurance number can be found on your National Insurance card or letter, or on official paper work such as payslips or letters about tax or benefits. If you cannot find your National Insurance number, visit

If you haven't been given a National Insurance number, you will need to provide a reason when applying. We will then contact you to provide further evidence as to your identity.

Why Register?

  • You must be on the electoral register to vote in future elections and referendums
  • By law, you must respond to an invitation to register to vote or you could be fined up to £80
  • If you are not on the register you may find it harder to get a loan, mortgage, finance agreement, or even a mobile phone contract as the register is used by credit reference agencies

Who can register?

You can register to vote if you are:

If you are student living away from home, you can register at both your home and university term time address. Registering to vote at your term time address means you can choose where you vote.

You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address. You will need something called a 'declaration of local connection' to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place. Please contact the Electoral Services Unit on 0161 234 1212 for more information.

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves to vote and the only way to do it is by either going online or by completing an 'Invitation to Register' form. Electoral Registration is a completely separate process and you will not automatically be registered to vote by any other contact you have with us, such as when you pay Council Tax or Housing Benefit.

When we receive your application, we have to check your identity against Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and other records, so applying does not mean that you will be automatically registered. Once we have checked your details, you will receive a letter from us either confirming that you are registered, or asking you for more information.

If you move house, you must re-register to vote.

If you're not sure, check if you're already registered to vote.

The electoral register is only updated at certain times of the year - generally the first of every month, apart from in October and November. There are strict deadlines which mean that you can only be added to the register if we receive your application on time and we have all the information we need to process it.

More information about deadlines for registration applications

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?