The Council and democracy Voter ID

If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID 

You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, if you:

  • do not have an accepted form of photo ID.

  • feel worried about using the form of photo ID you have (because of a gender marker).

  • do not feel sure whether you still look like the photo on your ID.

  • registered to vote with a different name to the one on your ID.

You need to register to vote before you apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. 

When you register to vote, you’ll be asked if you have photo ID or if you want to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. Applying for the free voter ID is a separate process.

Apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate on the site

If you don't have access to a digital device, we can help you to complete your application for photo ID. We can even take and upload your photo. Find a session at your local library or the Town Hall Extension customer service centre.

You can apply by post. Send the completed application and a recent photo of yourself to our elections team.

This form is available in an accessible format, including large print if you need it. As is information on using the Voter Authority Certificate.

If you need the certificate for a coming election, you must apply by 5pm six days before election day. Remember, you can vote by post or proxy if you would prefer not to vote at the polling station.

Please accept marketing-cookies to watch this video.

More information on the requirements for voter ID can be found on the Electoral Commission website


Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.