The Council and democracy Voter ID

What you need to bring with you

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for registered electors to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at all elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023. 

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following: 

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards 
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme) 
  • Biometric Immigration document 
  • Defence identity card 
  • Certain national identity cards
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state
  • Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland

See the full list of acceptable ID on the Electoral Commission website

If you have a form of accepted photo ID that is out of date, you can still use it to vote at a polling station if it still looks like you.

You will only need to show one form of photo ID, but it needs to be the original version and not a photocopy.

If you don’t have any acceptable form of photo ID 

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You need to be registered to vote before you apply for a Voter Authority Certificate.

When you register to vote, you’ll be asked whether you have photo ID or if you want to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, which is a separate process.

More information on the requirements for voter ID can be found on the Electoral Commission website

Support with applying for free voter ID or getting online.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.