Benefits and support Get basic items of furniture

You may be entitled to get basic furniture or household goods if you are moving home for urgent reasons because:

  • you fear violence at your current address; or
  • you have significant health or care needs; or
  • you have suffered a disaster or emergency; or
  • your move is part of a supported resettlement programme or emergency rehousing.

You may also be entitled to basic furniture or household goods to support someone to stay within their home and maintain independent living.

We only provide goods, not cash. Each item will be delivered to your home, installed if necessary, and will come with a one-year warranty. 

See if you're eligible

To apply you must:

  • live in the area covered by Manchester City Council; and
  • be 16 or over; and
  • have no capital or savings; and
  • get one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Guaranteed Pension Credit

You apply through our 'welfare provision' scheme. You can only apply online, and you will need to know your National Insurance number.  See where you can use computers for free.

Please do not select the Household Support Fund option when completing the form. Choosing the Household Support option may delay your application and will require you to complete a further more detailed application.

Advice if you can't get welfare provision.

Please read our Welfare Provision Scheme Privacy Notice

Find out more about how we run the Welfare Provision Scheme

If you are not eligible you can look for second hand furniture as a more affordable option

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.