Universal Credit is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit delivered by Job Centre Plus for people of working age.
It replaces several benefits with a monthly payment that includes:
- housing benefit
- income support (IS)
- jobseeker's allowance (JSA)
- income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)
- child tax credit
- working tax credit.
It covers housing costs for many people but not all. You’ll need to claim Housing Benefit to help with your rent if you:
- live in supported or temporary accommodation; or
- are Pension Credit age; or
- are receiving one of these benefits and it includes a Severe Disability Premium -
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Income Support
Help with Council Tax
Universal Credit does not cover help with Council Tax. You must apply for Council Tax Support separately.
There are some changes to our Council Tax Support scheme in April 2019. Read about the changes.