Manchester City Council

Benefits & support We sometimes overpay your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

We want to avoid overpayments wherever possible

  • You must tell us about changes straight away because it takes us time to deal with them.
  • Make sure that you give us correct information so that we get your benefit right first time.
  • If we make a mistake or are slow to deal with a change it may cause an overpayment.
  • If you get Council Tax Support we work it out for the whole year at the beginning of April, so if something changes during the year it may mean we've paid too much and need to adjust your bill.

We have to write to you about the overpayment and any action we will take.

We usually ask for the money back.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?