Benefits and support How savings, investments and property affect your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Savings, investments and property are usually called 'capital'. See what's included.

We need to know about any savings, investments or property owned by you and your partner if you have one. We usually call them all 'capital'.

Capital includes:

  • cash savings
  • savings in banks, building societies or the Post Office
  • money in current accounts
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
  • Tax Exempt Special savings Accounts (TESSAs)
  • Tessa only ISAs (TOISAs)
  • premium bonds and income bonds
  • National Savings Certificates
  • stocks, shares, unit trust holdings, Government securities and bonds
  • lump sums such as redundancy payments, insurance payments and back payments of Social Security benefits
  • tax refunds
  • money invested in a business and business assets
  • property, such as a house you own but don't live in
  • land
  • money held in trust
  • money you have borrowed

Your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support will probably be affected if you have any of these. This is not a full list. You must tell us on the claim form about any capital you have. You will also have to give us evidence of your capital.

To claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support or find out what you are entitled to use our online form.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.