Benefits and support Housing Benefit and Universal Credit information for landlords

If your tenant is going to claim

Universal Credit

Tenants can claim Universal Credit by applying on the site as Universal Credit is administered by the Government, and not by Manchester City Council. Universal Credit is for people who are on a low income or out of work and is usually paid as a single monthly payment to a whole household, and can include help towards housing costs. It is normally paid direct to claimants, and it is their responsibility to pay their rent themselves. 

The amount your tenant receives will depend on their individual circumstances. The exact amount is calculated every calendar month. 

See how to claim for Universal Credit

Tenants may also continue to receive Universal Credit even when they are in work, depending on their earnings. This amount will change automatically if earnings change. For example if earnings go up, this can reduce their Universal Credit payment. For more information you can visit Universal Credit 

Housing Benefits

Housing Benefit applications are managed by the Council and can be applied for online. After a claim we’ll then check if they can claim Council Tax Support.

We aim to deal with all Housing Benefit claims within four weeks. However incorrect tenant details or supporting evidence will cause delays with applications.

If you offer a service to help tenants make a claim then you should also do this online. You must have the tenant with you: do not make a claim on their behalf.

For a claim, we will need

  • Tenant's personal details 
  • financial details of everyone in their household
  • and they will need to show us certain pieces of evidence afterwards. Check what evidence is needed

Check who should be liable for Council Tax on the property.

If your property is an HMO (house in multiple occupation), or it is within an area designated for selective licensing, you may also need a licence to rent it out. Check if you need a licence.

You are also advised to establish lawful use of your premises under planning legislation. It is advisable to contact the Council's Planning and Building Control departments for advice. Contact: and

If needed there are a number of places across Manchester with free internet access where your tenant can make an online claim.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.