Stevenson Square – partial reopening
Further to our announcement about reopening the south-west quadrant of Stevenson Square following objections to the original full closure, we now have a date for the reopening of Friday 30 December.
From that morning, buses and hackney carriages will be allowed access to that quadrant. Any other vehicles passing through the area risk incurring a penalty charge notice. Blue badge holders will also be allowed access, as part of a pilot.
The bus stop on the south side of this stretch will be removed to allow uninterrupted passage through the square, and there will also be a No Waiting at Any Time restriction (double yellow lines) to ensure that no parking or loading occurs in this area. The attached plan shows how traffic and cycle movements will work.
Necessary signing and lining works will take place from 19 December to facilitate the opening of the square, and rhino barriers will be installed as temporary measures for a couple of weeks.
The legal Traffic Regulation Process to support this change is now under way. If you have any queries or concerns, please email email@example.com
Stevenson Square - ‘You said, we did’ changes made as a result of further engagement
As a result of changes made at the Traffic Regulation Order stage, and further consultation with partners including businesses and the Highways Access Group, some changes have been made to the design previously shared for this scheme.
- The cycleway through Stevenson Square has been moved from the north side to the centre (where the current temporary cycle lane is). As a result of this the pedestrian crossing and cycle crossing on Lever Street have switched locations. We have also added 'no left or right turn' signs for cyclists to stop them entering the pedestrian crossing area to travel north up Lever Street. Tactile paving has been repositioned and a short cycle bypass added to allow cycles to turn north onto Lever Street.
- The proposed contraflow cycle lane along Oldham Street between Hilton Street and Great Ancoats Street has been removed. Proposals for dropped crossings with tactile paving are retained along this stretch of Oldham Street.
- Conversion of the following two-way streets into one-way streets with a mandatory contra-flow cycle lane:
- Hilton Street from its junction with Oldham Street to its junction with Tib Street.
- Hilton Street from its junction with Port Street to its junction with Little Lever Street.
- The Stevenson Square southwest quadrant will be open for buses, hackney carriages and blue badge holders only.
- A 30m Bus Stand Clearway (24hrs) on Lever Street (north-west side) between Dale Street and Stevenson Square to provide bus layover.
- A new 43m long Bus Stand Clearway (24hrs) with relocated bus stop on Lever Street (north-west side) to provide bus layover between Faraday Street and Warwick Street. The bus stop that is to be relocated is currently located on Lever Street just to the south-west of Faraday Street.
- The existing Bus Stand on Oldham Street (adjacent to the junction with Warwick Street) has been extended from 20m to 30m.
Loading and taxis
- A hackney carriage rank previously indicated on Hilton Street (outside Corner Boy) will now not be possible because two-way traffic is needed to allow buses/hackney carriages/Blue Badge holders access to Oldham Street from the opened southwest quarter of Stevenson Square. As a result, other locations for hackney carriage ranks are being proposed (as listed below).
- A new 23m shared loading bay (8am-6pm) and hackney carriage rank (6pm-8am) outside 43-45 Lever Street.
- 2 x new shared loading bay (8am-6pm) hackney carriage ranks (6pm-8am) on the south side of Hilton Street, either side of the junction with Newton Street.
- The existing Taxi Rank on Oldham Street (north of Hilton Street) is to be extended from 30m to 42m.
Disabled Parking Bays
- 4 pay and display bays on Port Street to be removed and replaced with 2 x disabled parking bays and double yellow lines.
- One new disabled bay will be added on Lever Street, north of Stevenson Square. The proposed new shared loading bay/hackney carriage rank will be slightly shortened to accommodate this new disabled bay.
- One new disabled bay will be added on Hilton Street between Oldham Street and Tib Street
- A rain garden (SUDS) has been added to plans in the widened footway area outside no. 23/25 Hilton Street.
- The prohibition of driving on Oldham Street (between Hilton Street and Dale Street) will remain.
- New road markings at the junction of Spear Street/Stevenson Square/Hilton Street (subject to a Safety Audit).
- Blocks which act as hostile vehicle mitigation as well as seating are being reviewed.
- Conversion of a section of Tib Street from Hilton Street/Thomas Street approximately 30m south-west (to the Northern Quarter Multi Storey car park entrance/exit) from two-way to one-way (south-west bound).