online services

There may be some disruption to services around 10pm tonight (Thursday 1 December) due to maintenance. Sorry for any inconvenience.


Benefits and support Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for private tenants

If you live in shared accommodation

If you and your partner have sole use of a bedroom but share other rooms like the kitchen, bathroom, toilet or living room, you usually get the shared accommodation LHA rate which is usually lower than the one-bedroom rate.

There are some exceptions - 

You get the one-bedroom rate instead if:

  • one of you is severely disabled and getting the middle or higher rate care part of Disability Living Allowance; or
  • one of you is under 25 and has been in the care of, or housed by, a local authority since the age of 16.

You get the two-bedroom LHA rate instead if one of you receives overnight care from a carer who does not live with you.

If you are single, over 35, living alone and share some parts of your accommodation you get the one-bedroom rate instead if:

  • you have sole use of at least two rooms, counting only bedrooms and living rooms; or
  • you have sole use of one room and sole use of a bathroom, a toilet and a kitchen or cooking facilities.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.