Council tax Council tax information for private landlords and managing agents

If you are a landlord renting out a property, the responsibility for paying council tax depends on what sort of letting arrangement you have.

When is the tenant responsible?

The tenant(s) is/are responsible for the council tax when you rent the whole of the property to one person, a family, or to joint tenants. We send the bill to your tenant(s). 

When is the landlord responsible?

If you rent out the property to several people, and they each have an individual tenancy agreement to occupy only part of the building (this is called a 'house in multiple occupation' or HMO), you are responsible for paying the council tax. We send the bill to you. 

Tell us about a tenancy change

Tell us about tenancy changes so we can send accurate council tax bills quickly.

If your property is a HMO, or it's in an area designated for selective licensing, you may also need a licence to rent it out. Check to see if you need a licence

If you are selling your property please complete the change of address form

You can also complete a form if you need to report a problem with your bill.

You are also advised to establish lawful use of your premises under planning legislation. It is advisable to contact the Council's Planning and Building Control departments for advice. Contact: and

See how much Council Tax we charge for empty properties (including second homes).

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.