Benefits and support Housing Benefit information for landlords

If your tenant is going to claim

If a tenant asks you about claiming housing benefit, they should apply online. We’ll check if they can claim Council Tax Support.

We aim to deal with all Housing Benefit claims within four weeks. Tenants who claim online are likely to fill in their claim correctly and supply all the supporting evidence that we need. This means fewer delays.

If you offer a service to help tenants make a claim then you should also do this online. You must have the tenant with you: do not make a claim on their behalf.

The tenant will need the personal and financial details of everyone in their household and they will need to show us certain pieces of evidence afterwards. See the evidence they need to show us.

Check who should be liable for Council Tax on the property.

If your property is an HMO (house in multiple occupation), or it is within an area designated for selective licensing, you may also need a licence to rent it out. Check if you need a licence.

You are also advised to establish lawful use of your premises under planning legislation. It is advisable to contact the Council's Planning and Building Control departments for advice. Contact: and

There are a number of places across Manchester with free internet access where your tenant can make an online claim.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?